The Administrative Core of the Human Hematopoietic Stem Cell Center of Excellence at CHOP/UPENN is responsible for efforts supported by the NIDDK P30DK090969 “Human Hematopoietic Stem Cell Center of Excellence” and a research affinity group in human embryonic stem cells and benign hematopoiesis at CHOP. Its mission is to support and advance research efforts involving benign hematopoiesis.
The Center supports:
- The development of new and interactive research in benign hematopoiesis
- The underwriting for four relevant Cores for Participating Investigators and the wider CHOP/UPENN research community
- Pilot and feasibility grants by promising young investigators in benign hematopoiesis
- Summer students in benign hematopoiesis from around the country,
- A seminar series in benign hematopoiesis
- An annual retreat relevant to this effort
The Center is directed by Drs. Mortimer Poncz and Mitchell Weiss, with the administrative assistance of Mrs. Vernell Wynn. An advisory committee of Drs. Douglas Cines and Charles Abrams at UPENN and Dr. Beverly Torok-Storb at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center is involved in the analysis of the program. Core Directors include Drs. Don Baldwin, Martin Carroll, Scott Diamond, Deborah French, Carl June, and Warren Pear.